Custom Search

Forex News Update

Live Forex News and Analysis Review Update



Subscribe to this Feed by Email Subscribe to this Feed by Email

Subscribe to this Feed by Email Subscribe to this Feed by Email

Subscribe to this Feed by Email Subscribe to this Feed by Email
Subscribe to InstaForex Company News by Email

October 3, 2011

First Flight - Barn Swallows Raising Their Family At Eco Straw House

First Flight

Oh, the joy. The pure joy that this Spring has brought fills me up. I am convalescing from major knee surgery, at my home (Eco Straw House. com) and sanctuary in the country. In early June, a pair of Barn Swallows chose the cozy corner, above my front door to make their nest and rear their young. I did not mind - I put down cardboard to deal with the mess. Many people, I know, blast the nest with a hose or knock it down with a broom handle, not wanting the mess to detract from the cleanliness of their property. I welcomed the pair, seeing it as a true gift to be able to share the whole process as a spectator from my porch.

The nest building began in late May/early June and took about 10 days. It was fascinating watching the cup shaped nest take form, one mouthful of mud at a time. They worked so hard, back and forth, making painfully slow progress. The female would work in the nest, packing and placing the mud, adding other bits of dried grass and an odd feather or two.

Finally the nest was complete and I gather the pair took off to do their courting, for very soon after, the female would be regularily sitting the nest, obviously laying her eggs and then incubating them. This process, I estimate took about 10 days or so, as they had not hatched by the time I left for my surgery however, were hatched by my return 5 days later.

I was overjoyed upon my return to discover 4 baby chicks in the nest. Boy, are they ugly, when first hatched! All mouth and no feathers, big bulbous heads and of course, perpetually hungry. Both parents gathered food on the wing for the insatiable brood, tirelessly, all day long. Day by day the transformation from ugly, scrawny, gangly blob to plump, feathered chicks was amazing. How four of them made it in that little nest is a miracle. There was one that always seemed to squawk the loudest and receive the most food. This must have been the first to hatch and therefore the first to fly.

I estimate it has been 12 - 14 days for them to go from hatching to fledging. This morning, as I sit on the porch with my coffee, both parents are demonstrating the way of flight. Two of the chicks have ventured out onto the ledge and are flapping and preening themselves, as tho ready for the big event. The remaining two in the nest must be glad of the new space they have been afforded to flex their wings. The parents are very much hanging around, chirping to the chicks, encouraging them to 'step out'. They fly in small circles under the porch, showing them the different landing platforms and perches.

All of a sudden the first one takes off! Both parents are close by, encouraging it along. It is awkward in its first flight and clumsy, dipping precariously close to the ground and then finding it's way to getting some height! It has difficulty navigating it's way to a perch but finally does, after landing on one of the parents backs! Whew, that must have been a rush! It was a rush for me watching! Finally it gets back to the nest and there is a lot of squawking to do to the other chicks, relaying the story of first flight!

My old cat comes out and sits on the porch with me, which immediately causes a fluster of concern from the parents. They start dive bombing her and voicing their objection to her being in such close proximity to their nest that she makes a hasty retreat indoors, too old to care about chasing birds anymore. What is interesting is, they are not concerned about my dog, who sits faithfully beside me the whole time I am here. What wonder of nature makes them able to recognize that the dog is not a threat whilst the cat most definitely is a threat? The other interesting fact is that they have not been at all concerned about the human element i.e. me. All the bird books say that they are very aggressive towards humans in close proximity to their nest, but they have tolerated me from the first day. Another gift...

All has gone quiet now - all chicks are safe, back in the nest (well, one, on the ledge, right next to the nest as it is so overcrowded it is no longer able to accommodate all four of them). The parents have been absent for the last 15 minutes or so - maybe gathering their own food and taking a break. They so deserve it!

First Flight was a success! I can hardly wait for the next episode...

If you enjoyed this article, Kandi Wood invites you to visit her website for more information at http://ecostrawhouse.com/. Your feed back and comments are always welcome. Why not sign up for my free mini email course on Tips To Get Started With Building You Eco Friendly Home!


View article source


0 comments:

Post a Comment